Thursday, October 22, 2009

New Orleans Mission Trip--Day Five--2009

We're still at it! Our efforts here in New Orleans are beginning to come together to make quite a difference in this little house. Today we moved well into the kitchen with the new tile. Jim discovered some high spots in the concrete which will need knocked down before we can continue. A crew of Betty, Greg, Kathi and Patty began grouting what we had already done. It looks really nice. My effortswere centered on fixing some broken drywall in a closet and then moving forward on the mudding. I think we are 90% done with the mudding and I began the final sanding along one wall. It looks doubtful that we will be able to do any priming. We still have some work to do. and the goal is to get as much of the tile laid as possible. We can't lay tile in the same room where we are also trying to paint. Noelle, the construction manager for the house, says that she would much rather have us get the mudding done and as much of the tile laid as possible. She is really pleased with our progress, and with the quality of the work we are doing. (Of course she likely tells every group of volunteers that they are the best!!) We're not quite ready to hire out, but then again......?)

Today we are all discovering new muscle groups that are being tested. Ouch! It has been a good experience, but we will be happy to head for home soon. The car with Kathi, Patty, Jim and I will not head north until Saturday morning, we decided. We leave here at 3:30 AM, and will drive straight through. I think it will work just fine. On Sunday morning I promise to be there in body and to tell a few stories of our experiences. Tomorrow evening we will go to have a look at the house we worked on last year. We'll bring a picture of that, too.

The decision was made regarding the Lowe's gift card that we brought. Did you know that we managed to collect $905. That's so wonderful! It will be used to purchase interior doors and baseboards for the house. Noelle thinks it will be sufficient for that purpose, and that will keep the house on track for a Thanksgiving homecoming for the this family. I have been calling our homeowner "Angelique." Oops. Her name is really Antoinette! (Well, both of them sound French and both begin with A. That's the best I can do to explain it!)

We have not gotten to meet Antoinette. She is out of town this week for a funeral. We are still hoping for tomorrow, but we will see what happens. Tonight several of the homeowners came for supper. They spoke a bit about their experience. All I can say is WOW. Those of you in worship on Sunday morning will hear a bit about their stories.

We have really enjoyed the other volunteers here at Olive Tree. It's been such a great experience. Our Presbyterian experience has grown with friends from Pennsylvania, Oregon, North Carolina and Florida.

Well, I think there is a hot game of Scrabble waiting on me, so I think I will run. I don't know if you will hear from me tomorrow night or not. I will see you all on Sunday, though!

Be well. Blessings!

Joyce

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you are making good progress and quality work. I'm sure the project manager was sincere in telling you what a great job you are doing. You are doing First Pres proud.

Lou